Thursday, October 1, 2009

News staff recap Wingate's first nationally televised football game



Jill Corbo
Managing Editor

The Wingate vs. Tusculum game was probably the most exciting football game I’ve been to in my life. I’m not usually a huge football fan, or even know all that much about the sport, but it was amazing how energized and into the game all of the Wingate fans were. There were a few of us who decided it would be a cute idea to make shirts spelling “BULLDOGS,” and by game day it had turned into “GO WINGATE BULLDOGS!” The amount of school spirit and excitement the fans brought, even after a four hour bus ride, waiting for the game to start, and then standing the whole game was unbelievable. Some students made signs showing their support, hung banners and even painted their faces. After an exhausting yet fulfilling night, most of the students slept the four hours back to Wingate. I think taking a bus of students to away games for not only football, but any sport is something Wingate should look into. Yes, it would be expensive, but even if there was a small charge, I think there would be people willing to go support their Bulldogs. Last Thursday’s game would easily make the list of my favorite college memories, so thank you to all who were part of putting the trip together and to everyone who went for making it the enjoyable trip it was.

Megan Wood
Editor-in-Chief

A four hour trip on a bus through the mountains is not an ideal Thursday afternoon for me but after some motivation from fellow students, I decided to take a trip that I’ll never forget to Tusculum College for our football team’s first national TV appearance. If you look at my Facebook my excitement is written all over it. I have mobile picture uploads, status updates of the score, and friends comments that make me proud to be a Bulldog. I called family, friends, and again used my social networking skills to make it known that my team was going to be televised and they could watch it from home. The coolest part of my night by far was watching the game ball be delivered by helicopter.

Samantha Bare
News Editor

Under the lights, a football game takes on a different atmosphere than a day game. The energy and intensity at the Wingate-Tusculum game kept the Wingate students on their feet the entire game and provided fuel for an energized Wingate team. Our boys all played so well and it was an incredible experience to be there, cheering them on. There were so many key plays by such a range of players that it’d be hard to single out any one best player for the game. This was definitely the most memorable and exciting game I have been to, and not just because of how well the Bulldogs played. It took me about two days to fully get my voice back! Thank you to everyone who made it possible for us to get to the game and good luck to the Bulldogs (go get that ring!).

Steven Grandy
Sports Editor

Although attending the Wingate/Tusculum football game would have been a great experience, I think to fully understand how special the night was you had to be sitting in front of the television. I can’t explain how cool it was to see “Wingate” on the top of the screen and people who you have class with, people who you see walking around on campus, living their childhood dreams. I’m sure the guys on the field will remember that night for the rest of their lives.
Watching on TV and being able to see the replays gave me a better perspective to see the ability of the Wingate team. I was impressed by the performance of the offense. Coming away with touchdowns on the first three drives and taking control of the game early on was a big key to the game. The offense was a lot better compared to the UNC P game and I think they will continue to improve every game from here on out.
Having seen all four games the Bulldogs have played this season, I thought that this was the most complete performance of the season. Was it perfect? No. However, being 1-0 in the conference after getting what is arguable the biggest win in school history should give Bulldog players and fans a lot to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment